Here are XRDS we keep on meditating over 2015 by looking forward at what 2016 will bring, here’s some of our bloggers opinions of what the next 3.154e+7 seconds might have entailed for Computer Science:
In 2016, Virtual Reality will stop being the future and become the present. Once that happens, resources, advancements, and attention will shift to Augmented Reality, making it the hot new future technology. The Microsoft HoloLens will hit this year and be the opening act for the AR revolution.
– Andrew J Hunsucker, HCI PhD student at Indiana University & blogger at XRDS
2016 is the year of the tensor.
– Olivia Simpson, PhD student at UCSD & blogger at XRDS
If 2015 was the new rise of machine learning with particular emphasis on deep learning and the Google’s TensorFlow then 2016 will be the year in which thousands and thousands of new human brains join in. All together these people will make progress in the field, make artworks that critically reflect its future, teach it to more and more citizens and make it available for everyone’s benefit.
– Pedro Lopes, HCI researcher & blogger at XRDS
As 2015 has witnessed remarkable advances in all fields of Computer Science, 2016 will be the year of melting diverse minds. Human brains will collaborate to let every technology piece automagically work with a single-click; that’s how the future should be.
– Abdelrahman Hosny, Masters Student at UConn & blogger at XRDSIn my opinion, there are two fields that will become stronger in 2016:
Wearable Technologies: will see more and more wearable devices integrated into our daily life, not only phones and watches.
Autonomous cars: as shown in CES 2016 Las Vegas, cars powered by sensors, AI, online maps… are ready to be integrated into our life.
– David Guerra Rodríguez, PhD Student at UdL & blogger at XRDS